Re: Oregon License Plate Site in the News Tonight!

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, John F. Fricker wrote:

> #3) The goal is the anonymous citizen. The first step it to secure the data
> currently exposed. Can this be done _without_ legislation?

I disagree with this goal. The anonymous consumer/worker, yes; the public
has no business knowing what I as an economic actor buy, read, and think. If
I choose to participate fully in the political system, though, in ways that
go beyond votes and petty contributions to others' campaigns, the public has
an interest in my identity and biases. Anonymous voices can and should be
heard, and they can and should be influential at times, but they don't get
to run for office.

-rich