Re: e$: Watching the MacRubble Bounce

On 9 Aug 96 01:54:52 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>> If you accept that, then doesn't that make writing crypto software for
>> any Unix platform *even more* of a waste of time?  Because last time I
>> checked, there were way more Macs on mom-and-pop's desks than Unix
>> machines, counting *all* vendors.

>Pardon my French, but you mus be fucking stupid or somehing.  How many
>universities use UNIX platforms?  How many companies use UNIX platforms?
>Sun, DEC, and SGI don't stay in buisiness by building cheap Windows boxes
>ya know.  There are 13948 _registered_ LINUX machines, not to mention the
>unregistered ones.  Don't tell me that Cray's were designed to run MacOS
>or Windows 95.  UNIX isn' NEARLY as dead as Apple is.

I think the numbers have escaped you:  there are far more Macs than Unix
machines.  It doesn't matter that Unix has a larger market with
universities or Internet weenies, merely that overall more people use
Macs than Unix. Also, FWIW some of those Unix machines are Macs running
A/UX (Apple's Unix).

One last thought: Sun, Dec, SGI, etc all make RISC Unix machines.  Apple
is the largest RISC vendor on the planet...

Given that the Amiga is still around (and may be revived) despite the
fact that the Mac:Amiga ratio is probably the same as the PC:Mac ratio,
I'd say that it's quite likely Apple will stay around.  Inspite of the
hype about loses, Apple posted tens-of-millions-of-dollars profits last
quarter - rare for a dead company... <g>  They still cannot meet the
demand for the PowerBooks - probably the best notebook available at any
cost.

# Chris Adams <[email protected]> - Webpages for sale! Se habla JavaScript!
# Automatically receive my resume or PGPKEY by sending email with a subject
# of 'send PGPKEY' or 'send resume'. Capitalization counts so be careful!
# Web site: http://www.io-online.com/adamsc/adamsc.htp