Re: Massively parallel ca

 * Carbons sent to: In: [email protected]

 -=> Quoting In:[email protected] to Harka <=-

 In> But the FBI presumably has no data base of voices to compare the voice
 In> on the 911 tape to! They can have the most sophisticated voice analysis
 In> system in the world and it useless, except in comparing the voice to
 In> previously-recorded samples.

 In> (This is presumably how the NSA's capabilities are used, as they have
 In> the voice patterns of Boris Yeltsin, Yassir Arafat, Saddam Hussein, Bob
 In> Dole and other previously-recorded voices. Plus, they can use COMINT at
 In> will outside the U.S. (and maybe in the U.S....) and can acquire new
 In> voice patterns for their libraries.)

Here the technical progresses made in eaves-dropping technology come in really handy. Eaves-dropping on, let's say, apartments is these days rather trivial and a great way of collecting voice samples of 'suspects'.
That the FBI doesn't have a voice database or at least access to one, I seriously doubt. Most of the technologically advanced countries use voice-recognition already to monitor phone traffic. The US does, Germany does, the UK....
The system functions 'vacuum-cleaner-like' and reacts to voice patterns (individual voices) and trigger words. If a trigger word is said, the entire conversation will be recorded and the telephone number on either end determined for later review.
There are a few books out there, that deal with that kind of thing. Unfortunately, I only remember a german one: "The RAF Phantom", written by three journalists. But an Altavista might bring something up too...

Harka
___ Blue Wave/386 v2.30 [NR]