Re: Police prepare stunning end for high-speed car chases

On Sat, 10 Aug 1996, Duncan Frissell wrote:

> Time to fire up the '57 Chevy.
>
> >         A high-powered electrical device under development at the
> Pentagon's Army Research

  Actually people have done this before, using amplified radar guns to fry
the electronics in newer cars. That's why I've always favored pre  '70s
vehicles. You can work on em, and they can't be shot from under you with
new hi-tech weapons.

  I wonder what will happen in the insurance industry when cops start
using these devices to stop car thieves. They'll recover the car but it
will require a whole new brain (and who knows what else). I'm suprised
that the Clinton administraion hasn't called for a car-escrow system
whereby duly authorized law enforcement officials (with the permission of
a Judge od course) can send a signal to your car's computer to make it
shut off (or slow down or whatever).

   Brian

------- <[email protected]> -------------------- <http://www.aa.net/~blane> -------
  Embedded Systems Programmer, EET Student, Interactive Fiction author (RSN!)
==============  11 99 3D DB 63 4D 0B 22  15 DC 5A 12 71 DE EE 36  ============