Re: US Power Outages

>From what I read, this wasn't a "small localized disturbance".
Apparently, a fire underneath one of the main towers on the CA-OR border
was the cause of the problem.  Now that may not sound like too much, but
the lines were carrying at least 3000Mw of electricity, enough "to power
3-1/2 Seattles for a day" (quote from local newspaper).  My guess is that
when there is a problem involving that much power with no place to go,
the safety systems shut everything down to prevent damage.

Zach Babayco

[email protected]  <----- finger for PGP public key
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/4127