Re: [NOISE] Newspapers and basic science (was: US Power Outages)

At 11:53 PM 8/12/96, Z.B. wrote:
>Well, all I remember is the 3-1/2 Seattles part - I put the"for a day"
>part in because I wasn't sure about it.

Well, by putting in that "for a day" line, you made the news folk seem even
more ignorant than they actually may be! It was the "for a day" that made
the quote seem so stupid, as Ian's point below makes clear. (I had read
this stupid quote and just deleted the message, rather than get into the
difference between power and the integral of power.)

In the future, you might try leaving quotes alone, without improvements.

(One way is to add comments such as "[for a day?]", which readers can then
accept or reject as they wish.)

--Tim

>On 12 Aug 1996, Ian Goldberg wrote:

>> <GRUMBLE>
>> Watts are a measure of energy per unit time; it makes sense to say
>> "60 W powers a light bulb", not "60 W powers a light bulb for one hour".
>> </GRUMBLE>

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!