Re: Rumors of death of Anguilla Data are greatly exagerated.

At 6:51 PM -0400 8/12/96, Vince wrote:
> Many fortune 500 companies have offshore corporations for "self
> insurance".  Many many movies have corporations offshore just for that
> movie.  These are type of "clean" corporations that taxhavens like.

George Soros' Quantum Fund is an "NV" corporation, domiciled in the
Netherlands Antilles, for instance. We went over this about two years ago,
but the original  ;-) connotation of "e$" was eurodollar, or expatriate
dollars held outside the US banking system. For a decade or so, maybe
still, this was an excellent way to raise money for US corporations. Most
of the Fortune XX companies did this stuff, and probably still do, all to
avoid Uncle's sticky fingers.

While we may be talking about something else here entirely :-), remember
that tax avoidance is not necessarily tax evasion. And, of course,
jurisdiction shopping ("regulatory arbitrage") isn't necessarily breaking
the law.

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga ([email protected])
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"'Bart Bucks' are not legal tender."
                -- Punishment, 100 times on a chalkboard,
                       for Bart Simpson
The e$ Home Page: http://www.vmeng.com/rah/