Re: [NOISE] "X-Ray Gun" for imperceptible searches

At 09:27 AM 8/13/96 -6, Peter Trei wrote:

>Tim writes:
>
>> I don't see how "remote scanning" of the population at large, without
>> probable cause, is much different from the cops listening in from a
>> distance with parabolic antennas. Both cases involve detection of signals
>> emitted from the target. And yet such long-distance interception is not
>> allowed without a warrant.
>
>I vaguely remember another possibly relevant precedent, where a
>judge ruled that a warrant was required before a thermal imager
>could be used to look at a house suspected by the police of
>being a (pot) grow house.
>Peter Trei
>[email protected]

There was just such a decision in Washington state about a year ago, as I
recall.  However, as I recall there has been a contradictory decision
elsewhere, so the law isn't clear.

It seems to me that the main problem with such "evidence" is not the search
itself, but the interpretation of the results:  Having a hot house isn't a
crime, and indeed it was not practically detectable before IR viewers.  And
an IR viewer only tells you the house is hot; it doesn't say why its hot.
Apparently, when the "justice system" gets a new toy, it subtly adjusts its
standards to use that toy, regardless of minor issues such as right and
wrong.

Jim Bell
[email protected]