INVITATION

                          SANDY SANDFORT
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

C'punks,

Below, is the invitation to my next costume party.  Everyone on
Cypherpunks is invited.  I hope to see a lot of you there.  The
last party was a HUGE success; this one should be even better.

 S a n d y

                     I'M NOT 50 YET!

             The Pleasure of Your Company is
               Cordially Requested at the:

                    Second Occasional
                    Anarcho-Dilettante
                Pick-Your-Own-Damned-Theme
                     Masquerade Ball
                 And Hallowe'en Rehearsal

                          7:00 PM
                     FRIDAY THE 13TH
                      September 1996
              650 Kenwyn Road (at McKinley)
                       Oakland, CA

         Lots of stuff happened on September 13th.
          We're not going to tell you which one
            to commemorate.  That's up to you.
          Check out the birthdays and historical
           events listed below.  Pick one or go
            with something else.  Your choice.

         But no matter what theme you pick, it's
           still a masquerade ball, so you MUST
           wear a costume (or at least a mask).
                      NO EXCEPTIONS

                    THE ENTERTAINMENT

         At 8:00pm there will be a Dance Recital
            featuring Rainbeau, Gracie, Tish,
           Blythe, Michelle and special guests.
              You DO NOT want to miss this.

         (Please, adults only. We regret that our
          house is very unsuitable for children.)

                       DOOR PRIZES

         Around Midnight, there will be a drawing
          for valuable and/or unique Door Prizes.
              (You must be present to win.)

                         THE EATS

       I'm poorer this time around, so don't expect
         a complete buffet as with past parties.
      There will be some snacks and soft drinks, but
       you are encouraged to bring things to share.
                    As always, BYOB

                         RSVP

            Whether or not you plan to attend,
            we need to hear from you.  Please
         give one of your hosts a call so we can
          plan on your presence OR your absence.

          Invited guests may bring other persons
         with prior approval of the hosts.  This
         means if there are people you would like
         to bring, call a host to get permission
                for each of those people.

                        THE HOSTS

         Head Anarchist in Charge, Sandy Sandfort
              510-839-3441/[email protected]

        House Hosts with the Most, Gracie & Zarkov
                510-832-2044/[email protected]

          Communications Officer, Sameer Parekh
                510-547-3617/[email protected]

                 SEPTEMBER 13 IN HISTORY

Birthdays:

1755--Oliver Evans, pioneered high-pressure steam engine.
1766--Samuel Wilson ("Uncle Sam").
1851--Walter Reed, US Army physician (yellow fever work).
1857--Milton Hershey, candy maker.
1860--General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, hero of WW I.
1876--Sherwood Anderson, US author ("Winesburg Ohio").
1894--J.B. Priestley, English critic, playwright, and
      novelist ("Lost Empires").
1905--Claudette Colbert (Claudette Chauchoin), actress.
1910--Chu Berry, saxophonist.
1916--Ronald Dahl, author ("Charlie and the Chocolate
      Factory").
1925--Mel Torme, singer.
1928--Ernest L. Boyer, educator.
1928--Robert Indiana, artist.
1937--Fred Silverman, TV producer.
1938--Judith Martin, "Miss Manners", author, journalist.
1939--Larry Speakes, former White House spokesman.
1944--Jacqueline Bisset, actress ("Rich and Famous").
1944--Peter Cetera, singer and songwriter.
1948--Nell Carter, actress.
1962--Cypherpunk, "Lucky Green."

On this day...

 122--Building of Hadrian's Wall began.
1592--Michel de Montaigne, French essayist, died.
1759--British defeated French at Abraham near Quebec City.
1759--James Wolfe, British General, died.
1788--Congress authorized the 1st US national election.
1788--New York City selected as location for US government.
1789--US received its first loan.
1803--Commodore John Barry, First American commodore who
      fought in the Revolutionary War, died.
1814--Battle over Ft. McHenry which inspired "The Star
      Spangled Banner."
1826--Rhinoceros 1st seen in NYC.
1899--1st automobile fatality.
1943--Chiang Kai-Shek became president of China.
1946--Ted Williams hit his only inside-the-park homer.
1946--Host Sandy Sandfort was -6 days old.
1950--70,000 UN troops landed at Inchon harbor (Korea).
1971--Attica State Prison stormed.
1983--Menachem Begin resigned as Israeli Prime Minister.
1988--Hurricane Gilbert hit the Caribbean.

            Another version of this invitation
             and a street map can be found at:

            http://www.c2.org/party/masquerade

P.S.  We love you so much, we want to make sure you do not
miss any of our party.  Therefore, you will be fined a
Sprint fee (10 cents a minute, "one minute, two minutes...)
for each minute you arrives after 8:00pm.  The party starts
at 7:00, so you get an hour for free.  The late fee money
will be used to defray costs.  (We're not kidding.  At the
last party, more than $100 was collected.)