Re: forget photographing license plates!

> > Hacker's delight.
> >
> no kidding.. it wouldn't be hard to have something to capture the signal
> to open the car doors and start the engine.
> anyhow i wouldn't trust anything to be controled by a radio freq.
> anyhow.. it never works.. for example the garage door openers (pardon my
> spelling) people are robbing houses by duplicating the garage door opener
> signal.
>
> -soldier

I know one lady get robbed several times by people scanning and
duplicating codes on the garage opener.  There are no garage openers
manufacturers who have a "real" crypto challenge/response system.  Most
just give the code number and the opener verifies that that 8-24 bit code
is correct -- real easy to scan or duplicate.

The key switches/emergency latches are very easy to bypass as well.  The
latch can be pried off and these code things can be pried off and
bypassed with a simple hot wiring.  They don't know anything about tamper
switches.