Installing IE 3.0 Final under NT 4.0b2 [Was Re:NT remailer]

To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Date: Fri Aug 16 13:05:38 1996
You can try the following.  I will be attempting it myself tonight.  I also
understand that the 128-bit version is available again.

Good luck!

Lou Zirko

- ----Forwarded----
 From: "Scott Johnson" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Beware V3 of Internet Explorer
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.pre-release,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc
Date: 13 Aug 96 17:09:07 GMT

There is a way to get the production release to run on the beta II of NT.
It requires a little work but it does run fine.  It seems the only problem
is in the install.  If you follow these steps you can use the install from
the beta if IE 3.0 Beta II on the production cab file and it will install.

1. Run the self extracting cab file for the beta II of IE.  This should
produce a temporary dir in the temp dir on drive c.  You will have to find
it as it is named something different each time.

2. When you run this the first question will be do you want to cont. Answer
yes. When it asks for you to agree to the lic. look for the temp dir. Make
a copy of it somewhere and disagree.

3. Run the Prod code. Agree to the lic. and wait for the prompt for
optional Internet components.  Find the temp dir for this install and make
a copy of it.

4. Run msie.exe from yorur new dir in step 4. This will make a new temp
dir. Find it and make a copy.

5. In the dir made in step 4 you will find a CAB file and a IE.inf file.
These need to be copied to the dir made in step 2.  REN the ie.inf to
ohrome.inf and run the infinst.exe file. This should install the production
code on your beta II of NT

Good Luck.

Steve Bonine <[email protected]> wrote in article
<[email protected]>...
> The just-released version of Internet Explorer for NT informs you that it
> requires build 1381 or higher to run.  It imparts this bit of trivia
AFTER it
> has blown away the IE that you had installed.  Beta 2 is build 1314; 1381
must
> be the one that they have shipped to VARs.
>
> Brilliant move.  Release a product to the general public which runs on an
OS
> that you have NOT released to the general public.

Lou Zirko                                (502)383-2175
Zystems                                  [email protected]
"We're all bozos on this bus" - Nick Danger, Third Eye