Re: Hackers invade DOJ web site

>CNN online (http://www.cnn.com) is reporting a "breakin" by "hackers"
>to the DOJ web site.  They don't elaborate exactly how thy did it.

I certainly don't support the person or people responsible for this and it may
very well end up having an overall negative impact.  Since it has happened,
however, I think those in a position to do so should start with the spin
control.  Some suggestions:

   The fact that even the U.S. Justice Department is unable to adequately
   protect it's own site from intruders underscores the need for widely-
   available strong encryption.

   While this is certainly a major embarrassment for the Justice Department,
   at least the mandatory "key escrow" program the Clinton administration is
   insisting upon has not yet been implemented; no private citizens' data
   appears to have been compromised this time.

   It's doubtful that a new law or government bureaucracy would have prevented
   this from happening but it's entirely possible that tools such as strong
   encryption could have.  It's ironic that the U.S. Government is focusing on
   the former while fighting use of the latter.

This event could potentially draw a lot of interest from the general public.
Since we're dealing with public perceptions largely created through the main-
stream media, it's important to remember that "sound bites" are more important
than carefully reasoned arguments.

                          | (Douglas) Hofstadter's Law:
                          | It always takes longer than you expect, even
Frank Stuart              | when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.