Re: Billy boy's satellites [Was - Floating DataHaven]

On Mon, 19 Aug 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

<Discussion re LEO satellites deleted>

> There are also two major competing systems, also not yet deployed. One is
> the Microsoft-McCaw Cellular project, another is being done by an aerospace
> company working with Qualcomm, or a subsidiary. Again, the Web should
> produce the information for anyone interested.
>
> Which of the three (and maybe more) systems will actually get deployed, and
> which will succeed in the market, is an interesting question.
>
> There's some obvious crypto/GAK/New World Order issues: many countries may
> not care for a communications system which allows citizen-units or enemy
> agents to make phone calls from the middle of the Kalahari desert or from
> within the jungles of Burma.

Or the streets of New York or Washington.  Not too long ago, in my former
life as a federal prosecutor, I attended a Computer Crimes conference at
Quantico (the FBI part, not the Marine part).  One of the speakers
discussed LEO satellites and satellite cellular phones.  The "difficulty"
in wiretapping those phones was of grave concern to most of those present....

EBD