Re: Securing Internet mail at the MTA level

At 8:29 AM -0700 8/20/96, C Matthew Curtin wrote:
>    2. Waiting for a cryptographic transport layer network protocol
>       (such as what is being proposed in draft-ietf-tls-ssh-00),
>       allowing SMTP to remain untouched, and only requiring MTAs to
>       add support for the new network protocol.
>
>I like the second approach better, because it allows more problems to
>be solved with one move, and it would be easier to add crypto

	This presumes that everyone uses Internet protocols for transport.

	That is a marginal assumption, in today's world.

	Probably ok for long term, though.

d/

Dave Crocker                                            +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                             fax: +1 408 249 6205
675 Spruce Dr.                                 [email protected]
Sunnyvale CA 94086 USA                       http://www.brandenburg.com

Internet Mail Consortium               http://www.imc.org, [email protected]