Re: Sen. Leahy's "impeccable cyberspace credentials"

At 09:50 AM 8/26/96 -0700, Declan McCullagh wrote:
> [...]

Leahy's crypto bill sucked, bigtime.  The portion of the bill criminalizing
the use of encryption that had the effect of thwarting a government
investigation is classic, "foot in the door" creeping government
manipulation.  I was particularly disgusted to notice that a number of the
traditional net-freedom organizations rushed to announce that they were in
favor of that bill, without even a few days of analysis, and did not retract
or even restrict that support when a more careful study (specifically, that
of Peter Junger) showed how seriously flawed it was.  Indeed, I never saw
another analysis that purported to defend Leahy's bill, despite the fact
that it would have been the responsibility of any organization which claimed
support of it to prepare one.

I believe that it is particularly suspicious that these bills come into
existance without even cursory "vetting" on the Internet.  Both the Leahy
bill and even the Burns crypto bill popped into public view without any
indication of how they were written, or any public input on their intent and
scope.  Perhaps this "take it or leave it" practice is old hat to
politicians, but frankly I'm disgusted at politicians' presumption that they
can prepare a law with no identifiable input from the public.

I am similarly disgusted at any organization (even if, ostensibly, acting in
support of "net freedom") that assisted in the development of the Leahy
crypto bill (and to some extent, even the Burns bill) because they clearly
failed to solicit the kind of public input that such bills should
automatically get.

And in a sense, "the Net" doesn't NEED "strong supporters": what we need are
politicians who are willing to LEAVE US ALONE!  It should come as no
surprise that the call you frequently see among net-freedom- supporters for
new legislation is that which repeals existing restrictive laws, such as
ITAR and censorship laws.

Jim Bell
[email protected]