Re: Microsoft Explorer security hole (fwd) MSoft's reply...

Displaying warning dialogs in browsers and using default settings so as not
to auto run macros are only bandages to this problem.

Consider the following:

By using API routines to access the Win95 registry, someone writes a macro
virus (or even just a garden variety trojan) that turns off the warning
levels for MSIE which are stored in the registry (I haven't had time to
look, but I'm assuming they're there).

The user has no idea the setting has been changed, and is never warned when
evil, malicious, unsigned code is executed.  Until too late.

The registry, or whatever file you're saving state values to, should have
some form of write authorization associated with it.  Encryption would also
be extremely nice for privacy's sake (check out a Windows .INI file or
registry entry some time, and see what little tidbits of information are
being stored there).

In my experience, one of Microsoft's main problems when it comes to security
has been its developers and program/product managers don't think like "bad
guys" when it comes to design and subsequent exploits and holes.
Unfortunately, the user is the ultimate loser.

Joel

BTW - The paranoid side of me wouldn't be surprised to see PC
"espionage-enabled" viruses and trojans within the next few years.  Their
main purpose would be to either disable or patch various security features
for later attacks, or directly snatch information off of hard drives and
send it out over the Net.  I know of a few lab projects of a similar nature,
that were very easy to implement.