Re: File System Encryption

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996 02:55:20 +0400, Wayne Clerke <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Tried secdev? Edgar Swank (author of secdrv) recently posted
>that secdev (note, not secdrv) does, in fact, uses 32 bit disk
>access with win95. Win95 reports that the secure device is in
>compatibility mode, but the host disk (and therefore the secure
>volume file) is being accessed in 32 bit (disk) mode. Not sure
>what issues there are with '32 bit FILE access' mode here.
>
>Sounds worth a try though. Please post the results if
>you try this.

I have actually had Secure File System, Secure Drive, and Secure Device
all installed with mounted volumes at the same time under Win95.  However,
32bit file access is not the problem.  When you load a TSR in Win95, the
operating system forces you into 16bit DOS compatability mode.  I'm not a
kernal guru so I can't explain all the specifics, but it basically makes
95 act as Win-3.11 and looses multithreading (as it were) and creates
serious memory paging problems if you have >32mb installed.

Thanks for the reply though .. and if you need assitance with getting
SECDEV working under 95, just drop me a note.

Drifter