LAT_ice

   8-23-96. Science:

   "Lattices May Put Security Codes on a Firmer Footing."

      Miklos Ajtai, a mathematician at IBM Almaden, has
      provided the kind of guarantee of hardness that
      cryptographers are looking for. He has proved that
      examples picked at random from a particular class of
      problems are, with exceedingly rare exceptions, as
      hard to solve as the hardest ones imaginable. A code
      that embedded messages in these problems so that only
      someone equipped with the answers could decode them
      would provide something close to a guarantee of
      security.

   8-29-96. WaJo:

   "Cybersleuths Help Make Java Safe for Browsers."

      Over the past year, Wallach, Dean, Felten and Balfanz
      have become self-styled policemen for some of the
      hottest Internet software around. Like many fellow
      hackers, they find thrills in the search for others'
      mistakes. But unlike some of their brethren, they're
      using their skills to make the software better by
      informing the companies of their findings, rather than
      exploiting the errors maliciously.

   -----

   http://pwp.usa.pipeline.com/~jya/latice.txt  (13kb for 2)

   LAT_ice

----------

   Seth Lloyd, MIT, has a 5-page report on "Universal
   Quantum Simulators" in Science of 23 August, which
   confirms Feynman's 1982 conjecture that quantum
   computers can be programmed to simulate any local
   quantum system.

   There are quite a few equations so we have not scanned
   it to .txt. However, we will scan as JPEG images for
   those who are interested.

   Send us a blank message with subject UQS_fey.

   There will be a delay to honor knothead labor, me.