Re: Errors-To: for cypherpunks

> Hi,
>
> Whoever is in charge of maintaining this mailnig list, PLEASE
> add header

> I am flooded by stupid "Mailbox is full" messages from Banyan and
> CC-mail gateways.
>
>       - Igor.

While an Errors-To: field can't hurt, it shouldn't be
needed.  The problem is *broken* gateways.  There are
plenty of properly set up and running Banyan and CC-mail
gateways, we just need to harass the admins into
running the broken ones properly.

Let me quote from "scripture" (RFC-822) below in a typical message
I send to such idiots.  This particular person had neither
the use Sender: set up correctly, or a postmaster address.
<sigh>

----- included message ----

Your SMTP to Banyan gateway is broken and missing a postmaster address.

I sent a message to [email protected], to which someone
at your site is apparently subscribed.  The listserver at toad.com
correctly puts a "Sender:" field in the header of all outgoing
messages, and according to RFC-822 all SMTP handleing agents
must send any bounces to that address.

RFC-822 specifically states (starting at line #1430 in rfc-822.txt)

     4.4.4.  AUTOMATIC USE OF FROM / SENDER / REPLY-TO

        For systems which automatically  generate  address  lists  for
        replies to messages, the following recommendations are made:

            o   The "Sender" field mailbox should be sent  notices  of
                any  problems in transport or delivery of the original
                messages.  If there is no  "Sender"  field,  then  the
                "From" field mailbox should be used.

Also, RFC-822 states that you must have an address of postmaster
that people can send email to  (starting at line #2046 in rfc-822.txt)

     6.3.  RESERVED ADDRESS

          It often is necessary to send mail to a site, without  know-
     ing  any  of its valid addresses.  For example, there may be mail
     system dysfunctions, or a user may wish to find  out  a  person's
     correct address, at that site.

          This standard specifies a single, reserved  mailbox  address
     (local-part)  which  is  to  be valid at each site.  Mail sent to
     that address is to be routed to  a  person  responsible  for  the
     site's mail system or to a person with responsibility for general
     site operation.  The name of the reserved local-part address is:

                                Postmaster

     so that "Postmaster@domain" is required to be valid.

     Note:  This reserved local-part must be  matched  without  sensi-
            tivity to alphabetic case, so that "POSTMASTER", "postmas-
            ter", and even "poStmASteR" is to be accepted.

So, please fix your gateway, or contact Banyan on how to
correctly configure it.

Thank-you,

----- end included message ----

Dan Oelke                                  Alcatel Network Systems
[email protected]                             Richardson, TX