Re: Code Review Guidelines (draft)

! Dave Harman OBC wrote:
! >
! > ! At 09:58 AM 8/29/96 -0500, Igor wrote:
! > ! >The decision that have just made is not a technical decision, it is
! > ! >a business decision. You just decided that the needs of security
! > ! >outweight the need to be able to deal with 100% of potential customers.
! > !
! > ! I strongly agree.  You've also potentially annoyed a bunch of Europeans,
! > ! Unicode-speakers, and other users of non-ASCII alphabets.
! > ! Just because the domain name in somebody's address is case-insensitive
! > ! (and culturally-insensitive :-) ASCII, that doesn't mean their user
! > ! name will be also, especially if their _real_ mail system is some
! > ! ugly proprietary thing like Microso-Cc:PR0FS-HS.400 or if their
! > ! name is Swedish or Chinese.
! >
! > Agreed, the DNS and other systems should be upgraded to 8bit.
! > Unix should also allow / in file names, it can be escaped somehow.
!
! It is not possible.

Oh, every value can be escaped, there's no reason that the full 8bit
range cannot be incorporated throughout every operating system.  It's
just legacy junk which keeps us putting up restrictions in everything
that we really don't want.  Ditto for network software.