Re: Conservation Laws, Money, Engines, and Ontology (fwd)

On Fri,  6 Sep 96 14:04:51 -0500, Andrew Loewenstern wrote:

>>  I don't think any one step will solve all our spam problems
>>  but I wouldn't mind spending, say, 5 cents for each real piece
>>  of mail I sent outside my company and if end machines charged
>>  5 cents per piece of ouside mail received, I think spamming
>>  would be crippled.  (Note that with bad guy lists, you could
>>  collect the money and then just throw away the mail.)

>So would you be willing to pay $50.00 for this message you sent to
>cypherpunks?  If there are a thousand recipients and each one charges $0.05
>for the priveledge of you sending it e-mail....  It seems like such a scheme
>would not only cripple spam, but public discussion lists like this one.

It's likely his $.05 would go to the list owner.  When signing up for the list
you would forfeit the right to collect on junk mail.  Charging spammers would
be up to the list...

- "'Anonymity is bad,' says a source who wishes to remain anonymous." - Nuff' said.
* Home: Chris Adams <[email protected]> | http://www.io-online.com/adamsc/adamsc.htp
* Autoresponder: send email w/subject of "send resume" or "send PGPKEY"
* Work: [email protected] | V.M. (619)515-4894 | (619)689-6579
* Member in good standing of the GNU whirled hors d'oeuvre