Re: LACC: Re: What is the EFF doing exactly?

> Julian Assange wrote:
> > Certain members of the EFF board seem to be politically naive. The
> > rational, intelligent lobbyist will always see both sides of the
> > argument.  Presenting both sides of the argument to the world at large
> > is another matter altogether. You should only present both sides of the
> > argument to the inner policy tactics personnel only in order to formulate
> > policy and create defences for the weaknesses in your position. To the
> > outside world only ever sees a united front. This is basic politics.
>
> This is certainly the way most people in political roles handle things,
> and it is certainly an effective way of handling simple-minded people.
>
> However, it is one thing I find very difficult to respect.

Respect or not, if your team is small and the field is large, and
everyone else is playing gridiron, then don't expect to prove anything
but your stupidity by playing cricket.

> How many of the world's stupid policies have been enacted, because
> someone decided to present only one side of an issue, realized it was
> "the wrong side", and felt they couldn't later change their mind for the
> better - because they presented the issue as overly black-and-white
> initially?

I agree, however you are confusing large parties, so dominant as to form
government and policy at whim with those that represent a particular
cause or interest group. The EFF falls into the latter category. Its
goals are relatively narrow, its membership tiny.  Such a small group,
fighting under-resourced battle against powerful, conservative interests
does not need, and should not espouse the arguments of those who seek to
destroy it. When Canoing up a waterful, one does not need to paddle
backwards 50% of the time in order to be "fair".

--
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely  exercised for the good of its victims
 may be the most  oppressive.  It may be better to live under  robber barons