ADJ_ust

   9-30-96. NYP:

   "National Security Experts Plan for Wars Whose Targets and
   Weapons Are All Digital."

      Is the threat real, or is this just another way to win
      scarce funds?

      Military and intelligence officials believe that enemy
      nations, terrorists and criminal groups either already
      have the capability to mount information warfare strikes
      or soon will. Criminals are quickly progressing beyond
      the vandalism and petty theft associated with teen-aged
      hackers and into robbery and extortion schemes ranging
      up to millions of dollars, corporate executives and
      private investigators say.

      Others reply that the worst threats mentioned are mostly
      speculation. "Information warfare is a risk to our
      nation's economy and defense," said Martin Libicki, a
      senior fellow at the National Defense University. "But
      I believe we will find ways to cope with these attacks,
      adjust and shake them off, just as we do to natural
      disasters like hurricanes."

   -----

   http://jya.com/adjust.txt  (14 kb)

   ADJ_ust