Re: How might new GAK be enforced?

On Tue, 1 Oct 1996 20:55:40 -0800, Timothy C. May wrote:

>And just what would you call PGP?

>Long before the MIT deal, people in the U.S. were using their "OK in
>America" (not counting RSADSI's issues) software to communicate with
>"illegally exported" copies in foreign lands.

Just informally, how many of the people on this list do you think have
bypassed any cooperation with the USG on general principles and are using
International PGP?   ("Well this one uses non-banned math")

Unfortunately, we've already demonstrated that hackers (real ones) and/or
cpunks will use Underground Crypto.  What's missing is evidence that business
(and thus Joe Sixpack - either directly or indirectly) will.

#  Chris Adams <[email protected]>   | http://www.io-online.com/adamsc/adamsc.htp
#  <[email protected]>		 | send mail with subject "send PGPKEY"
"That's our advantage at Microsoft; we set the standards and we can change them."
   --- Karen Hargrove, Microsoft (quoted in the Feb 1993 Unix Review editorial)