Re: Clipper III on the table

Ernest Hua wrote:

| Therefore, it is definitely in IBM's and HP's interest to build
| systems that the government likes.  It is also important for them to
| point out that such systems are very vulnerable given the previous
| policies.  This new GAK ("GAKR"??) will actually be quite appropriate
| in terms of a right "balance" for the financial sector.  In fact, I
| would expect the financial sector to have to open its transactions to
| not just the FBI/CIA/DEA, but the SEC and other non-law-enforcement
| agencies.

	The financial industry doesn't need GAK, the SEC, FINCEN et al
already get full access to their networks & data.  The financial
industry is very cooperative about this.  As such, GAK is adding
(unquantifiable) risk to their plans, without giving the LEAs
anything.  I am suggesting to my customers in the financial sector
that they continue moving towords 3des, and only look at this as an
alternative to foreign software for their overseas branches.

	Remember, banks already get a partial exemption to the ITARs.

Adam

--
"Every year the Republicans campaign like Libertarians, and then go to
Wasthington and spend like Democrats."

Vote Harry Browne for President.  http://www.harrybrowne96.org