Re: RSA's Official Permission

At 5:47 PM +0000 10/6/96, The Deviant wrote:
>On Sat, 5 Oct 1996, Bill Stewart wrote:
>
>> >   REDWOOD CITY, Calif.---Oct. 2nd, 1996--RSA Data Security, Inc., a
>> >   wholly-owned subsidiary of Security Dynamics Technologies, Inc.
>> >   (NASDAQ: SDTI), issued the following comments on the administration's
>> >   recent announcement of a Key Recovery Initiative:
>>         [rave reviews deleted....]
>>
>> I wonder how much being bought by SDT has influenced their positions?
>>

>presumably a very large amount, I seriously doubt if R, S, and A like
>supporting GAK.

Of the three, only Rivest has had any significant connection to RSADSI in
the last ten years or so. I heard from Diffie that Shamir's interest is
zero (such as that he sold his interest long ago). I don't know about
Adleman's interest, but I expect it is also minimal. Rivest has a
continuing role, of course, and has a sizable stock position.

As evidenced in the 10K-type documents John Gilmore pointed us to a few
months ago (the first public glimpse into the fincances of RSADSI), the
major stockholders are Addison Fisher (*), Jim Bidzos, and one or two
others.

(* Fisher--or it may be spelled "Fischer"--was once in the CIA,
interestingly, and has long had spook connections on contracts his company
works on. I had not realized he was a major RSADSI stockholder until the
10K documents were made public. You can draw your own conclusions, or not,
about NSA involvment in RSADSI. I don't know anything more than what I've
said here.)

--Tim

"The government announcement is disastrous," said Jim Bidzos,.."We warned IBM
that the National Security Agency would try to twist their technology."
[NYT, 1996-10-02]
Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.