Re: Anonymous E-mail

At 12:26 PM 10/8/96 -0700, Eric Murray <[email protected]> wrote:
>someone with slightly less scruples than I, and a little more time, and
>their own domain name & server, might consider writing a small
>program to create a few thousand accounts.  Then sign them up with PINmail.
>Every email address that's registered to PINmail gets you $5, right?

Netscape didn't find www.PINmail.com for me, but I assume that it
probably costs money to sign up for pinmail.  If it's even $6,
you won't win by creating a few thousand accounts for the $5 commission :-)

> [privacy risks]

Of course, anywhere you have a concentration of email,
especially where there's bait like a promise of privacy, you have
to wonder about security risks.  Besides PINmail, there's
www.mailmasher.com (which has a strong privacy policy),
www.hotmail.com (which wants more information and may do
advertising or something), and there are the big services like AOL,
Compu$erve, and Prodigy.  What would happen if Sameer and Lance gave in to
the Dark Side?   What would happen if ATTMail were taken over by TPC?
Risks happen - deal with it.

                                Darth

(OK, so nobody but AT&T ever really used ATTMail :-)  We still
own the Death Star.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 [email protected]
# You can get PGP outside the US at ftp.ox.ac.uk
  Imagine if three million people voted for somebody they _knew_,
  and the politicians had to count them all.