Re: Londinium

Duncan Frissell <[email protected]> writes:
> [whilst in London...]
> The interesting thing about "Schoolyard Slaughter" is that similar games
> involving adult males and aliens ("Doom" par example) have been around for
> a long time.  The lesser controversy surrounding games like Doom suggests
> that the commentators (and perhaps the public) are guilty of speciesism,
> ageism, and gender bias.  After all, the fictional slaughter of adult males
> and aliens should be just as bad as the fictional slaughter of children.

May be you knew this.  A few months back in the UK, some nut flipped
and shot up a school full of kids, finishing up by shooting himself
(sadly for the press, his second cousin once removed, did not have an
internet account).  Much media teeth gnashing about hand guns, and
tighter gun laws ensued.  (The guy had a gun license, something which
is needed to legally own a gun in the UK.)

The Schoolyard Slaughter game is I think a joke by someone with a
funny sense of humor, playing on this incident.

Adam