Re: Blinded Identities [was Re: exporting signatures only/CAPI]

In <199610140530.WAA17735@crypt>, on 10/13/96 at 10:30 PM,
   Hal Finney <[email protected]> said:

>The "blinded identities" problem is one of the oldest that we have
>discussed here (although not much recently, of course!).  It is basically similar to
>what cryptographers call "blinded credentials" and is closely related to electronic
>cash, as Michael Froomkin's example from Stefan
>Brands points out.  I posted an idea a few years ago for how to use the technique to
>solve the related problem of remailer abuse.

>A simple way to approximate what you want is to use a standard blinded
>signature exactly as is done with David Chaum's DigiCash.  The customer comes to you
>and presents some proof of identity.  This may be in
>person via standard paper documents, or on-line via some cryptographic
>credential as you suggested.  You make a list of all of your customers, and make
>sure that this customer is new, someone you haven't seen before.

Hmmmm... I am at a loss as why the customers identity needs to be know at all?

What does it matter if I am a new customer or not?

I don't see why we couldn't have anonymous prepaid credit-cards similiar to the prepaid calling cards available now. You pop down to the local bank here's $500 cash, they give you your card, when you have used up your $500 you throw it away. Of cource the issuer of the card would charge some fee for the service, say $1 on every $100, maybe more maybe less the market will decide that. :)

No one need know who I am or what I am purchasing. Much simpler to implement, no id verification, no blinded credentials, Just treat it like any other credit card.

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid :)

William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii
Geiger Consulting    WebExplorer & Java Enhanced!!!
Cooking With Warp 4.0

Author of PGPMR2 - PGP Front End for MR/2 Ice

Look for MR/2 Tips & Rexx Scripts
Get Work Place Shell for Windows!!

Finger [email protected] for PGP Key and other info

*MR/2 ICE: Windows: Just another pane in the glass.