Re: DES cracker.

(I've deleted 7 out of the 8 recipients, including 2 of the 3 mailing
lists. Aren't we letting cross-posting get a bit out of hand?)

At 12:36 AM -0400 10/18/96, Geoffrey C. Grabow wrote:

>Tell me what you need.  A large part of my job is providing hardware
>security modules to banks to secure (among other things) their ATM networks
>(Automated Teller MAchines, not Async Transfer Mode).  Do you need PIN
>encryption formats, transmission message protocols, or what?  Just LMK.

Wow! If we could get you to get all the ATM terminals to contribute spare
CPU cycles to DES-busting, this'd be really great!

I doubt customers would mind having to wait an extra second or two while
the ATM finishes whatever it's doing. (And maybe if the DES bust is
successful while a customer is waiting, he could be awarded with an extra
$20 bill.)

Better than a DES-busting screensaver.

--Tim May

"The government announcement is disastrous," said Jim Bidzos,.."We warned IBM
that the National Security Agency would try to twist their technology."
[NYT, 1996-10-02]
Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.