Re: Identity is Just Another Credential...

At 10:33 AM -0800 10/18/96, Timothy C. May wrote:

>Indeed, I believe "identity is just another credential," not necessarily
>very important. I sometimes exaggerate this point a bit by saying, "Your
>key is your identity." Carl Ellison made a similar point, yesterday.
>
>(By "identity" I mean the popular notion of unique, biometric, True Name
>identity. Other forms of identity exist as well, such as usernames (bound
>to passwords), phone numbers, corporate names, etc.)

Sorry. By inserting the parenthetical clarification of what I meant by
"identity," I may have confused things.

The "identity" as unique, biometric, True Name form is much different from
the "your identity is your key" form.

While some deep philosophical issues are no doubt involved, all I mean is
that there are different operational definitions. And I have had almost no
need to verify the physical identity of anyone I have ever dealt with,
which tells me something. (Nor does anyone I know ever ask me for proof
that I am Tim May, and not someone else. Occasionally I am asked to flash
my California Driver's License, but that's about it. Much more important is
that I have certain credentials--tickets to theaters, an admission card to
my health club, etc.)

Physical identity just ain't what's it's cracked up to be.

--Tim May

"The government announcement is disastrous," said Jim Bidzos,.."We warned IBM
that the National Security Agency would try to twist their technology."
[NYT, 1996-10-02]
Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.