Re: Car Rental: Refusal to take Check Cards

Black Unicorn <[email protected]> writes:
<a bunch of very interesting stuff>
> Although I pointed out that a customer can likewise stop payment on a
> credit charge, it appears that while the credit card issuers must adhere
> to a standard requirement for dispute resolution (between merchant and
> issuing bank) check cards often have no standard dispute resolution system
> or no system at all.  This leaves the recourse to negotiations between
> rental car company and consumer.  This often results in collection
> procedures.  (Read, expensive)

If the customer has a dispute with the merchant and follows certain
procedures, s/he has a great many rights. S/he gives up those rights
by not following the proper procedures. Most people don't realize this
when they have a dispute.

> One would assume that on the spot clearing methods (digital cash) would
> solve this problem.  Just TRY, however, to rent a car with real cash.

The folks who blew up the World Trade Center rented their van with cash.

---