Re: Stopping the buying of candidates

This is my last reply.  I guess I forgot your overarching theory.
Reality, nah.

(snip)
> No, I didn't say I was "cutting off all prediction of money appearing."
> But it would be a long shot from having particular donor's names associated
> with particular dollar figures.  And, the system would simply have to
(snip)

It's not a long shot.  When Bob the Big Bad Lobbyist comes into the
Senator's office and leads him to believe a donation will be made and
magically a sizeable one does, it can be reasonable infered from
whence it came.  In the real world, politicians have access to the
names and addresses of people who regularly donate to political
campaigns.  Trust me, the probability of others, i.e. regular working
people, donating to campaigns is zero to none.  There is a finite
pool of political campaign money out there.

> >> Try again.  Rather than trying to prove that a system won't work, why not
> >> help develop one that will?
> >
> >Why don't you run for office.  I did.  Reality, after all, is far
> >better than theory.
>
> I'd prefer doing something far more...uh...permanent than to merely REPLACE
> officeholders.

My fault.  I forget whom I was replying to.  Of course my reply above
was in response to your question about developing a "working" system.
Have fun in your politicianless world (with no physical
infrastructure, information infrastructure, national defense, etc.)
I would much rather leave it to the market.  There is, of course, no
corruption there. (WINK)

> >Every candidate ever endorsed by the Firefighters Union in my town
> >have been absolutely elected.  Looking at the firefighters voting
> >records and matching with their addresses shows a distinct pattern of
> >voting in almost every election.
>
> "Firefighter's voting records"?  I _thought_ we had a secret ballot in this
> country.  Maybe you're from some  town that I don't know about!

I, unlike some people, live in the real world.  It is trivial for
political groups to put together listings of public employee
addresses, their VOTING records (meaning whether they voted or not,
check with your city hall...hmmm...go figure, they keep track of
that) and public expressions of support (i.e. lawn signs, letters to
the editor, rally attendance).  Compile this info and you have a
pretty good handle on who voted for whom (Yes I know it cant show
absolutely that someone voted a certain way, but most of campaigning
is simple probability.  I dont have the time to explain this in
detail, look it up if you are really interested).

> Besides, what you're saying can be considered a bit of self-fulfilling
> prophecy.  Some cities ALWAYS vote one way, or another.  Over time, public
> employees simply adjust their politics to match their wallets, etc.
> Remember, these are PUBLIC employees after all, which really just means the
> employeees of the thugs who get into office.  It does not serve their
> interests to go against the winning candidate.  If, one year, the party
> normally out of office appears to be winning, the Firefighters will simply
> adjust their politics accordingly.  Simple.

What you are not getting is that, in this case, the public employees
are the edge that causes the win.  We have had some close races, the
winning margin is clearly less than the number of voting public
employees.  You don't need to control all the votes.  Only the sure
number that you can "deliver", the need for which can be discerned
fairly easily (using those nasty historical voting records).

> > They have sufficient numbers to win every time.
>
> Whichever candidate wins, "has sufficient numbers to win."  Tell me
> something else I don't know.

This came from a discussion of vote delivery.  X has a block Y that
will vote for Z (the endorsed candidate) every time.  If victory
margin is less than Y, X's delivery controls the race.

> >Power currupts.  Not size of governement.
>
> Size of government is evidence of the size of the corruption.

Unproven.  Apparently you don't believe that some monarchies, which
can be extremely small governments, have been some of the most
corrupt in history.  As I stated above, power corrupts.  It is an
easy way out of arguments for libertarians and most republicans to
say that big government is the root of all evil.

Quite simply put, it is people that are the arbiters of their free
will.  People are the root.

> Jim Bell
> [email protected]

Matt
Matthew J. Miszewski |The information revolution has changed wealth:
		     |intellectual capital is now far more important
[email protected]   |than money.		-Walter Wriston