Re: When did Mondex ever claim to be anonymous?

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Derek Bell wrote:

> I don't think spreading false rumours is a good idea - it can discredit
> the spreader if anyone bothers to check any details.

Disinformation is a time-honoured weapon in political struggle.
A rumour is called just that because it can't easily be checked
- somebody heard from somebody, who heard from somebody etc. The
spreader is hardly ever discredited since he does not guarantee
the validity of the information. 'It's just a rumour, but...'

Those arguing in favour of Big Brother - 'the needs of law enforcement'
- frequently use (probably false) information that is hard to check, to
impress the public: about terrorists stopped by wiretapping, pedophiles
in great hordes lurking on the net, the infamous 'If you knew what I have
been confidentially told' and so on.

If you doubt that disinformation, including rumour campaigns, can be
effective, read the book on CIA by the renegade Phillip Agee.

Asgaard