Re: 2nd edition Puzzle Palace?

At 9:19 AM -0600 10/30/96, William I. MacGregor wrote:
>Applied Cryptography references a 2nd edition of The Puzzle Palace by
>Bamford and Madsen, 1995, but I can't seem to find it in any of the
>bookstores in Austin.  Has it been published?  Thanks,

Read Ernest Hua's message from yesterday about this. He quoted an EE Times
article which said, in part:

>From EE Times

 October 21, 1996
 Issue: 924
 Section: Design -- Computers & Communications

 Required reading

 By Loring Wirbel
 Cryptography buffs have been waiting for relief in the form of the
 third edition of James Bamford's classic The Puzzle Palace, on the
 workings of the NSA. The new edition is supposed to contain material
 from co-author Wayne Madsen detailing NSA presence at Internet
 switching centers, and cipherpunks have been disappointed that the
 book didn't meet its June release date. Rumor has it that squabbles
 between the two authors and the publisher may push the book out well
 into 1997.

--end excerpt---

--Tim May

"The government announcement is disastrous," said Jim Bidzos,.."We warned IBM
that the National Security Agency would try to twist their technology."
[NYT, 1996-10-02]
Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.