Re: WWII & Japan

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Jim Choate wrote:

> Again they knew something was up, just not where.

You may well be right, but there are seemingly serious
historians who claim otherwise. Since you have studied
the subject for 30 years I would be interested in your
comments on the book 'Infamy' by John Toland (1982).
I remember being very taken by his arguments when I
read it. He has extensively studied the protocols from
the post war hearings and military court proceedings
dealing with the subject (and they were plentiful)
interviewed many of the involved persons years after.

According to Toland:

The US president, selected members of his cabinette and a
few admirals and generals knew - from Magic and the 'winds'
execute, radio traffic analysis, diplomatic sources, double
agents - exactly when and where the Japaneese were going to
attack, but didn't warn Hawaii, fearing that too efficient
counter-measures by the Oahu military might make the attack
abort and so not convince the isolationists. The unexpected
tactical capabilities of the Japaneese armada then made a
cover-up all the more important.

Asgaard