Re: Discrete logs 1 [non-cryptography related annecdote] [NOISE]

On Sun, 03 Nov 1996 09:36:32 -0800, Dale Thorn wrote:

>> >properties than regular logarithms, but I thought this bit of history
>> >would spark some memories in old-timers and give a new perspective for
>> >younger people.
>[snip]
>> The same thing goes on with SATs and especially SAT-IIs.   Some higher-end
>> calculators, esp. HPs, have plugin cartridges which automate much of the
>> basic work in chemistry, physics, etc.  I never saw anyone who used such
>> things even get asked about it.  Do we even need social engineering with
>> people this stupid?
>Technology has a base, much like a pyramid.  When you add enough layers, you can't
>find very many people who can traverse top to bottom and understand all of what's
>in between.
How true...
>I consider it a miracle when a student has the quality of consciousness to buck the
>trend and get themself a quality instrument (such as an HP-48SX/GX), since once they
>do that, they might be encouraged to explore further.

Were this the way it actually happened, I'd tend to agree.  However, the
group that bought high-end calculators solely to do things like this was
proably about 50-60% of the total.

#  Chris Adams <[email protected]>   | http://www.io-online.com/adamsc/adamsc.htp
#  <[email protected]>		 | send mail with subject "send PGPKEY"
"That's our advantage at Microsoft; we set the standards and we can change them."
   --- Karen Hargrove, Microsoft (quoted in the Feb 1993 Unix Review editorial)