Re: Censorship on cypherpunks

At 06:54 PM 11/3/96 -0500, Will French wrote:

>  I'm quite upset about this.  Up to now I was able to tell
>people that "there is at least one mailing list on the net that
>functions in a completely open manner".  No more.

This is an easy problem to solve. Run your own list, you can set the
policies. There are service providers who will set up/maintain mailing
lists for you. If you can't find one, and "quite upset" means >$200/month
to you, let me know, and I'll set one up for you. Mailing lists aren't
exactly rocket science.

Actually, I'm curious exactly how much money "quite upset" means to you.
Perhaps you and the others who are also upset can buy Dmitri his own
mailing list. You can even subscribe your list to the cypherpunks list, and
advertise it as "total freedom cypherpunks", so that subscribers to your
list get everything on cpunks, plus Vulis' helpful commentaries.

The lesson to learn from this is not "all people are essentially
authoritarian" but "one jerk can ruin something good for 1500+ people."
Just one turd in the punchbowl, and all that. Doesn't matter if the turd
has a PhD, nobody wants any punch. When one person does something which
inconveniences or annoys many people (over and over, intentionally) it's
unsurprising (and not even "authoritarian", in any useful sense of the
word) that someone gets sick of it and tries to correct the situation.
Freedom isn't just for assholes; and the name for someone who won't take
care of himself (or his mailing list) isn't "friend of liberty", it's
"pushover".

--
Greg Broiles                |  "We pretend to be their friends,
[email protected]         |   but they fuck with our heads."