Re: Information [for new PGP user]

On Thu, 7 Nov 1996, Dale Thorn wrote:

> [...]
[snip]
> > You can read and compile the source code yourself.
>
> [snip, snip]
>
> Really?  All 60,000 or so lines, including all 'includes' or attachments?
>
> I'll bet you can't find 10 out of 1,000 users who have read the total source,
> let alone comprehended and validated it.

the point is that the source code is available and public.  I may not be
able to find any errors or hiddens trapdoors in it, but I have greater
trust in it because many other people can read it and make public
comments about it.   the advantage of a published (public) work is that
even those of us who are not experts can gain the advantage of having the
work reviewed openly by anyone who is so inclined.