Re: Sifting data; looking for "strong crypto"

An entity claiming to be Murray Hayes wrote:
:
:
: As far as bit patterns go, is executable code random?
:
: [email protected]
:
: It's better for us if you don't understand
: It's better for me if you don't understand
:                                              -Tragically Hip
:

Nope, any executable has the same text-data-stack structure.  Within the
text segment, all instructions are (usually) of the same size with
one to four possible formats.  Consider that every instruction will
begin with one of ~128 opcodes, operands are pretty predictable depending
on the opcode's associated format.  Any references to symbol and literal
tables are within a predictable range, and the format of these tables
is fixed.

An assembled/linked program is going to be very far from random, same
basic patterns are used for I/O, subroutine calls, iterative loops, etc.
I would assume that the entropy of an executable binary is extremely low.

mark

--
[]  Mark Rogaski
[]  [email protected]