Re: WebTV a "munition"

>>Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 17:16:00 -0800
>>From: Tom Weinstein <[email protected]>
>>To: [email protected]
>>Subject: Re: WebTV a "munition"
>>Sender: [email protected]
>>
>>Rich Graves wrote:

>>> Based on the lack of public policy pronouncements from the WebTV
>>> folks, I would answer C) They're clueless. I'm not sure that
>>> management even understood, or wanted to understand, that they'd have
>>> an export problem.
>>> See http://www.webtv.net/
>>
>>Since Pablo Calamera works there, they can't be too clueless.
>>
>>--
>>You should only break rules of style if you can    | Tom Weinstein
>>coherently explain what you gain by so doing.      | [email protected]

To clarify a bit, we're not talking about SSL here.  Also, some how it was
infered by some readers of the article that we were astonished about the
munitions classification of our product.  We were not.

Oh... and yes, we are not the least bit clueless (thanks Tom).  Below is a
company statement we released:

The WebTV Network is currently using a 128 bit encryption system that
gives our U.S. subscribers the most sophisticated security protection of
any online service today. It is our intent to offer our customers the most
secure environment for transactions and transmission with their WebTV
Network service. Our units, sold by Sony and Philips, include a sticker
that states that the product is not to be exported outside of the United
States.

However, the government restriction does not prevent us from exporting our
product outside of the United States. WebTV Networks has always intended to
announce its expansion plans in early 1997, providing global communication
using either 40 bits, now authorized by the government, or 56 bits which
Bill Clinton recently endorsed.

Pablo