[NONCRYPTO] Re: cypher-censored the netly news

>Cypher-Censored
>By Declan McCullagh ([email protected])

>The cypherpunks mailing list, so legend goes, coalesced around two
>principles: the dissemination of strong encryption and an absolute
>commitment to free speech.

Incorrect, Cryptography and the promotion of privacy by use of
same.

Not "Free Speech."

>Thus began a debate over what the concept of censorship means in
>a forum devoted to opposing it.

<sigh> see above.

>Did Gilmore have the right to show Vulis the virtual door?

Yes

>But what if your private club's express purpose is to cherish free
>speech?

Again see above, this is not a stated purpose of this list.

>What does Vulis's ouster mean to the community that sprang up
>around this mailing list, of which he had been a member for
>nearly three years?

Dimitri's been here three years?

>Will Rodger from Inter@ctive Week and Lewis Koch from Upside
>Magazine are writing about this.)

I can hardly wait (insert dripping sarcasm).

It still seems people are confusing a benevolent dictatorship with
some sort of democracy. Cypherpunks is just a list, a tiny, tiny
portion of a small corner of the Internet. John started it (with
Tim, Eric and others) and John owns it, no big deal.

Dimitri was kicked out of John's "Virtual Living Room" after daring
him to do so. We can all still hear his screeching from out on the
virtual sidewalk.

To those who call this censorship I say "To a man who only has a
hammer, every problem resembles a nail."

I do admire Declan's efforts however, please keep up the good work.

Brian

"When catapults are outlawed only outlaws will have catapults."