Re: [REBUTTAL] Censorship on cypherpunks?, from The Netly News

George wrote:
> At 06:34 =EC=EC 13/11/1996 -0500, Mark M. wrote:
> >Governments maintain a monopoly on land, so the "love it or leave it"=
>  mentality
> >is flawed.  Virtual space does not have the same limitations as physical
> >space.  Starting your own mailing list is relatively easy.
> Not at all easy, for a lot of people. Moreover, it's very time-consuming.
> It's only easy if you are prepared to put up with costs of time, money,
> and also... service providers (who don't always agree with you)...

     It is not that difficult in term of money or access to start a
mailing list.

    I believe there is a equation that operates in life that goes something
like this:

    Intelligence + Money + Time * will = Results

    As one goes up, the other two can drop. Will is kinda nebulous, but is
always less than result.

    I am not a rocket scientist, but I was able to get majordomo to work
(to a degree) on a server I own, yes, I own the server, and no, I don't
pay for it with cash. I do a favor for someone, and they gave me the
machine (http://www.encodex.com/~pov to see the favor). The access is
provided by some people I occasionally do work for, as long as the machine
is not causing a problem, or too much bandwidth, they let me run it.

    This would make the equation:

    Intelligence + money + time * will = Result
        Some     +  0    + a bit * some = A server with 4 or 5 mailing lists.

> In a lot of places in the world, starting mailing lists is almost
> impossible unless you can be _inside_ an Internet Provider Company
> (and use Unix or whatever they use, in their own machines).

     A simple mailing list could simply be a 8 dollar a month email account
with a long .forward file.

> Man you're nutts. There are very few and quite vast Media Companies
> in the world, and they're on the verge of becoming monopolies.

     For every "tentacle" of the Vast Media Conglomerates, there is
some loose nut with a photocopier (or access to Kinko's).

> Even your American President is in reality a puppet of the Trilateral
> Commission, who effectively also control CNN, the Washington Post,
> and many many many other things all over the world.

     WHO is nuts?

> And you are saying that control of the media by ownership is
> impossible?  You're far out maaan! :-)
> Only in America such a naive opinion could actually be _believed_.
> (here I go again... aga! :-) )
> George
> P.S. Even if you offered me a million dollars I'd stay away from
>      your country. My sanity is much more valuable.  :-)
>      (The Immigration Authorities in the U.S. have missed the point:
>       We DON'T want to come to you guys. It's the last thing we'd want!)

     One of these days reality is going to hit you like a runaway
freight train.

Petro, Christopher C.
[email protected] <prefered for any non-list stuff>
[email protected]