Re: Mirror of new export control regulations

>http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/nov96-regs.htm

It gets even more interesting.  In addition to signing today's Executive
Order on encryption, the President also designated Ambassador David L.
Aaron as the new "Special Envoy for Cryptography."  (Really, I'm not making
this up.)

According to the White House, this Special Envoy will have "responsibility
to promote the growth of electronic commerce and robust, secure global
communications in a manner that protects the public safety and national
security. . . . Ambassador Aaron will promote international cooperation,
coordinate U.S. contacts with foreign governments on encryption matters and
provide a focal point for identifying and resolving bilateral and
multilateral encryption issues."

CDT's Web site also has the text of the President's Executive Order,
Presidential Memorandum on Encryption Export Policy, and letter to
Congress, at

	http://www.cdt.org/crypto/clipper311

The White House Crypto Envoy press release should be posted there shortly.

What happens next?  According to the Administration, we can expect two new
Rules -- one from the State Department, transferring its jurisdiction to
Commerce; and one from the Commerce Department, spelling out exactly how it
will approve products for export, what the requirements for approved key
recovery centers and key recovery plans will look like, etc.  That last
rule is where the rubber really hits the road.  We'll finally have a chance
to talk concretely about whether the Administration's key recovery/export
control policy meets the privacy needs of computer users.  Hopefully there
will be a comment period for concerned parties to make their views known...

Alan Davidson, Staff Counsel                 202.637.9800 (v)
Center for Democracy and Technology          202.637.0968 (f)
1634 Eye St. NW, Suite 1100                  <[email protected]>
Washington, DC 20006                         PGP key via finger