Re: Mirror of new export control regulations

Looks like a trend.

  In his day job, U.S. Army Maj. Ralph Peters is a strategist for the
  White House Drug czar.  In his spare time, he is a best-selling novelist
  - a kind of thinking man's Tom Clancy - whose previous five books have
  sales totaling at least a million copies world-wide.

  [...H]is next novel, "Twilight of the Heroes," to be published next
  month (Avon, 464 pages, $6.50), is a sharp critique of the U.S. war
  against drug smuggling from South America.

  [...Peters says] a lot is going right in U.S. drug policy nowadays,
  which he calls "a disaster" before Gen. McCaffrey took over.

  [...] Using fiction, he says, lets him speak to a wider audience: "If I
  had written a clinical study of drug policy, it might have sold 2,000
  copies." [...]

    - WSJ, 11/12/96, review by T.E. Ricks, Pentagon Correspondent

In his day job, by the way, Maj. Peters authors articles arguing for
assassination of drug criminals and such.  Much more efficient than
bothering with evidence, trials, and such nuisances.

bd