Exploring hooks in MSIE

A little bird told me that MSIE has Javascript hooks that allow a site
to check whether all Microsoft products on a client machine are properly
licensed. Has anyone investigated the Javascript (err, Jscript)
implementation in MSIE to see if this is true?

The same little bird told me that MS is building some use of this
"feature" into their Websites. Can any MS consultants corroborate on
this issue?

This is just a rumor. The names of the birds have been changed to
protect the innocent.

DJK