Re: The Utility of Privacy

Black Unicorn wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Sandy Sandfort wrote:
>
> > The problem with having a whole lot of private information about
> > you floating around in public is not what damage it can do to you
> > now, but rather the problems it potentially could cause in the
> > future.  Just about everyone on this list has been to university.
> > Not long ago, a college education was essentially a death warrant
> > in Cambodia....
>
> Oh, come on.  That could never happen here.

[Where is "here" for every list member?]

Not bloody likely, no, but Mr. Kasczynski or the Symbionese Liberation
Army could take a disliking to you for similar reasons. And you never
know where you might travel. I've got a journalist friend who's paranoid
about appearing at any political event because she's afraid she won't be
allowed back into China or Southeast Asia if it comes out that she gives
a damn about human rights.

A seasonal haiku, original author unknown:

Open your present
No, you open your present
Kasczynski Christmas

-rich