Re: Why I Don't Read SF Much Anymore

>The problem with straight SF for me is that computers and networks have
>changed the future so much that (in the words of the motto of the SF
>Writer's Association) The Future Ain't What It Used to Be.  The science
>fictional futures of my childhood are now dead as doornails.

I still enjoy some of the "old stuff", but not in the same way that I did
when I was younger. I read those works as period pieces now.  There is a
certain romance in the Gersnbackian view of the future that I enjoy,
especially in contrast to the Grim and Gritty (TM) "reality" of most
modern and post-modern SF.  I still find Heinlein's juveniles to be fun
reads, probably for this reason.  Ditto for Edgar Rice Burroughs's Mars
books.

>And I can't
>enjoy contemporary SF that doesn't include a healthy dose of computers and
>networking.

Computers and networking may not be central to the story the author is
trying to tell. And with the way things are going, computers and
networking will become (some would say already have become) such an
integral part of the culture that they don't warrant special attention.
Kinda like airplanes, automobiles, television, radio, microwave ovens,
cellular phones, ad infinitum.  Computer Networks were a new and nove
idea when _Shockwave Rider_ was written, but now with every car and
cereal commercial on TV promoting a web site as well, it's not all that
exciting anymore.

As far as keeping up with current SF, I, like others, don't seem to make
as much time to read as I used to.  I rely on Gardner Dozios' annual
_Year's Best Science Fiction_ anthology to keep me up to date and
introduce me to new writers.  I've always enjoyed the stories he's
chosen, some more than others, and he's introduced me to some great
writers that I probably wouldn't have heard about otherwise: Greg Egan,
Connie Willis, and Terry Bisson, to name a few.  Judging from your
comments, I think you'd like Greg Egan, especially his novel _Permutation
City_.

Ken