RE: Mass-market crypto phones

> I was going to just listen to the way this thread is going because I find
> it fascinating, but now that it has been spelled out, I must make a very
> important distinction between my idea and PGPFone, WebPhone, etc. --
> These are Web-based programs designed to speak over very long distances
> for "free" (neglecting ISP charges, etc.), adding the extra functionality
> of encrypting your data along the way so sniffers, etc can't listen in
> on your conversation.

PGPfone works over POTS and IP. It was not originally designed to work
over IP.  The issues raised in my first post apply to modem/modem
connections and IP based implementations. The issues raised in my second
post apply to IP based implementations only (that's not quite true, but I
don't want to go any deeper into it).

--Lucky