RE: Mass-market crypto phones

As Hayek reminded us 50 years ago, even democracies can evolve into a
totalitarian state.

Be ever vigilant, blah.

-Declan

PS: Over margaritas and enchiladas tonight, I was talking with one of the
crypto-ITAR enforcers from State. I mentioned that I'd be going out of the
country soon and taking my PowerBook laptop. Quite sincerely, he urged me
to keep a record of when I left and when I returned for five years. You
see, I have domestic Netscape Navigator on it. Wacky stuff.

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Lucky Green wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Peter Trei wrote:
> > It's kind of pathetic - I'm sure that the billions lost to cellular fraud
> > far outweigh the value of crimes that the  LEA groups have been
> > able  prevent by preserving their ability to illegally eavesdrop on
> > cell calls without a warrant.
>
> The LEA's are not intested in saving the public money. They are
> interested in preserving and expanding their power. If it costs
> $1,000,000 per wiretap, who cares? The government has men with guns that
> can always go out and extort more cash from the population.
>
> --Lucky

// [email protected] // I do not represent the EFF // [email protected] //